I’m digging back through the archives of my makes over the last 12 months that have yet to appear on this blog – next up is 2017’s ball dress! Since my second year of uni, I have made my dress for the annual ball each year (and am just about to start work on this year’s!). Last year was no different – although I decided to go for a very different style to the princess dresses of 2015 and 2016!
As long time followers will know, whilst my real sewing passion is whipping up endless dresses (especially ballgowns), I do try and keep my makes somewhat practical with some separates here and there. And, truth be told, even I must admit that I do get more wear out of my me-made tops and bottoms on a day to day basis than all my fancy frocks 😛 So amongst all the dresses I’ve been posting about lately, I thought I’d better show off the ensemble I made during my break: a black Gable top and a pencil skirt in vintage wool!
As a sewist, is there a greater pleasure than realising the perfect combination of fabric and pattern to perfectly recreate one’s vision in the real world? (the answer is no, there is not). So you may imagine just how pleased I am to be sharing this shining example with you all today!
Altering RTW, clothes-hacking and upcycling; whilst I have dabbled in all of these, they tend to be a little outside of my comfort zone. Whilst many discover a passion for sewing through altering op-shop finds, I have always preferred to sew from scratch, as it were. However, as I’ve been lucky enough to receive a few windfalls of pre-loved clothes from friends and family over the last year or two, I’ve slowly been building up my alteration skills in adapting clothes to my shape and style. Whilst I’ve now successfully reworked a few pieces with basic fixes, this time I took on a slightly more ambitious project!
I received this dress from my auntie a couple of years ago as she’d bought it online but didn’t fit. It didn’t fit me either, but she thought I might like to see if I could do something with it. I loved the fabric but wasn’t quite sure what to do with it, so it’s been lurking in my sewing cupboard ever since. Flash forward to just a few months ago, when I saw the fabulous Nora Finds wearing this Stop Staring dress on Instagram. My second thought (after, my god, I need this dress) was I’VE SEEN THAT FABRIC BEFORE. And, lo and behold…I’m convinced it’s almost an exact match!
Did anyone read The Crafty Pinup’s recent post about sewing and motivation? It’s a really great read with some excellent tips on helping you get your creativity back in to gear – which I’ve definitely needed lately! When there’s a fiddly or complicated project sitting on my sewing table, my sewjo can really take a hit – like with that silk trench coat from last year that’s still only about 30% done (I swear I will finish it…eventually…), or the green shirt dress that I cut out almost a year ago, started sewing up about six weeks ago…and just finished last weekend 😛 Still, I’m always proud of myself whenever I complete a project, especially if it’s one that took me a long time; and even moreso in this case, as I took the trouble to take my time and finish every thing really nicely – and I think the result it well worth it!
I have to say, writing this post I am feeling a little (very) nostalgic for my summer holidays – right now, cosyed up by the fire, I really do wish I was back in the warm weather, waltzing around in this pink gingham ensemble (i.e. one of my favourite outfits EVER).
I’d been wanting a retro outfit in pink gingham for some months now; I can’t remember the exact inspiration, but I’ve definitely seen a few repro pieces in variations on this theme before and knew that this was an outfit fantasy I had to indulge myself in. Accordingly I obtained a vast quantity of pink gingham from Spotlight and settled on a design. I wanted a dress, but decided to make it in two pieces as a top and skirt for greater versatility (a brilliant call, I might add). The skirt is a simple gathered circle skirt and the top is the bodice of B6167, modified to have a shirred back and a side zip (a “design feature” added when I couldn’t get the finished top over my head…whoops!).
I’m not even going to apologise for my extended absences any more readers – as I’m sure many of you will realise, med school take up *quite* a lot of my time, and frequently if I have a choice of how to spend my spare time between sewing or blogging about it – I’m going to choose actually making things! Still, I do enjoying writing about my creations and sharing them with you all (no matter how belated!), so I will keep trying to find a little time here and there to show you what I’ve been up to 🙂
I’ve been trying to practise a little of the “sew what you got” philosophy this year and make my way through stashed fabrics and UFO projects, and it’s been working pretty well (if you ignore the long-unfinished trench coat and shirt, which I currently am…). Generally one buys a bit of fabric because one wants to enjoy wearing it, so it’s always very satisfying to be able to do so once it’s made its way out of a long sojourn in the stash! I picked up this gorgeous piece of black and white floral print mystery fabric from a friend-of-a-friend’s de-stash last year, and I always knew I wanted to make a classic box-pleated skirt out of it. And I’m very satisfied with the result!