Did anyone read The Crafty Pinup’s recent post about sewing and motivation? It’s a really great read with some excellent tips on helping you get your creativity back in to gear – which I’ve definitely needed lately! When there’s a fiddly or complicated project sitting on my sewing table, my sewjo can really take a hit – like with that silk trench coat from last year that’s still only about 30% done (I swear I will finish it…eventually…), or the green shirt dress that I cut out almost a year ago, started sewing up about six weeks ago…and just finished last weekend 😛 Still, I’m always proud of myself whenever I complete a project, especially if it’s one that took me a long time; and even moreso in this case, as I took the trouble to take my time and finish every thing really nicely – and I think the result it well worth it!
The bodice from this dress is Simplicity 1880, the same pattern I used to make my bright red shirtdress last year – but this time I used the Monroe sleeve pattern from Boundless Style and a self-drafted box-pleated skirt (using the term “self-drafted” extremely generously here…), and added the waist tie from the Simplicity pattern. I also made one small alteration to the bodice pattern: instead of sewing the pleats as per the pattern, I actually stitched them together as in my original inspiration, The Little Tailoress’ version. I also added a pocket, of course, because what is even the point of making your own clothes if you don’t add as many pockets as possible?
The fabric is a rayon that I believe came from Lincraft (too long ago, sorry!), and it has an absolutely wonderful weight and drape to it and a beautifully luscious, soft feel to the touch. I also chose to add in piping (like I said, I was taking my time to do things slowly and properly on this one!) on the collar, yoke seams, waist ties and sleeves and I love the look. As per usual, I constructed this one on my Singer, using my overlocker to finish the seams and my Janome for the button holes. Instead of lining this dress, I prefer to wear it with a slip/cami + half-slip – which is very authentically vintage! The buttons (which I LOVE), were a Spotlight buy. And of course, I added one of my special little “Made by Maddy” custom labels as a finishing touch 😉
Happy to say that finishing this piece of really rebooted my motivation for sewing – I cut out two new projects the day after finishing it! I’m extremely excited about them, and can’t wait to share them with you soon! 😀
Until next time,
Miss Maddy xx