Spring Has Sprung

…well, apparently it has. Here in good old temperamental Melbourne we’ve been alternating between days of twenty degrees and thirteen, which in my mind at least, a spring makes not. But the season has changed at least, which is always a good excuse to do some sorting, sewing, and of course, bust out some florals!

img_3293

It’s been a little while since I treated myself to some new lingerie, so a change in season seemed like the perfect opportunity! I’d also had this beautiful red stretch floral fabric, left over from my aunty’s bridesmaids dresses some years ago, which I have been eyeing for some underwear for a while – and I realised I’d never made myself a red bra! Definitely no more excuses needed 😉

I turned to my two TNT  lingerie patterns for this set: the Boylston bra and Grace panties. I made my usual alteration to narrow the bridge of the bra, and used another pair of vertical Bliss wires from Erin’s shop – I still can’t get over how perfect they are for my shape! This actually worked out to be one of the most successful bras I’ve seen so far – the fashion fabric stretched perfectly over the foam and lining, and there are absolutely no wrinkles in the fabric when it’s worn! And just like my last black Boylston with vertical wires, the fit and shaping is spot on 🙂

I was slighhhhtly less satisfied with the sewing of the underwear; I was starting to run out of elastic by the time I was doing the leg holes and as a consequence the elastic is pulled a little tight (and tighter than it needed to be, I had a few centimetres left over!). It’s not as comfortable as some underwear I’ve made but it’s far from unwearable; I hardly notice it until after a few hours of wear. And I’m very happy with how the cut-out turned out! This time I went for one larger cut out as opposed to the two smaller ones I did last time, but used the same technique. I’m so proud of my FOE application on this one! It’s the neatest I’ve ever done, I feel like I’m really getting the hang of it now 🙂

img_3288img_3292

Not much more to say about this set, other than that it was fun to make and fun to wear! Even though I now have far more bras than one person could possibly need, I still feel like the joy I get out of making them and the improvment I see in every one I sew more than justifies continuing to add to the collection 😛 And I still have many, many more lingerie makes planned (I’ve bought both of Madalynne‘s new Simplicity patterns, so look forward to seeing them appear sometime soon!). Aaaaaaaand I still have quite the backlog of unblogged garment makes to get through too – hopefully now that we’re getting a bit more daylight I’ll be able to photograph and share some with you all soon!

Until next time,

Miss Maddy xx

 

Advertisements

7 comments

  1. Siobhan S · September 29, 2016

    I don’t think need has to come into it when we are sewing things we love 😉 I for one enjoy seeing all your fantastic makes! And it’s so sweet you included a bit of history by repurposing your auntie’s bridesmaid dresses.

    Like

    • Miss Maddy · October 4, 2016

      Thanks Siobhan! I love how good we sewists are at enabling each other’s making addictions haha. I really love that fabric (especially given its special history!!) – what’s even better is that my grandma still has a few metres left on the roll (as she made the dresses)…which I’m eyeing off for a dress for myself! 😀

      Like

  2. Sofía · October 2, 2016

    Another lovely set, Maddy!! I really love the fabric on this one, and the back detail on the underwear is so cute! I’ve recently received the Boylston pattern as a gift and I can’t wait to try it! Do you have some sizing advice about it? The measurement method is a bit different and, according to it, I should chose a size that is quite far away from my normal size… Did that happen to you as well?
    Here the days are getting colder, so my sewing whishlist is full of sweaters and wool dresses rather than lingerie… but, well, I can’t resist to a new bra! 😛

    Liked by 1 person

    • Miss Maddy · October 4, 2016

      Thanks Sofia! If you have the original pattern (the A-DD size range), which is what I have, I’d recommend sticking closer to your usual size: I always make a 32DD in the Boylston, which is only one sister size up from my usual 30E and it’s perfect with no modification other than the bridge 🙂 I’ve found with both Orange Lingerie patterns her measuring system is way off for me – usually puts me at 30C, three cup sizes too small!! Can’t wait to see your version though 🙂 xxx

      Liked by 1 person

      • Sofía · October 10, 2016

        Thanks for the advice!! The Boylston instructions put me between 30A and 30B, but I usually wear a 28D! I think I’ll sister size up to a 30C, as the band pattern starts at 30. I hope to sew it next weekend! 🙂

        Liked by 1 person

  3. Hannah · November 30

    Thanks for the cute tutorial! I want to make something similar out of:

    http://www.moodfabrics.com/royal-blue-scallop-edged-stretch-lace-306066.html

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s