This is going to be a short and sweet one today – placement, while brilliant, is taking up a lot of my time right now, which is cutting into the time I have to sew things and to write about them! Still, I’m working on little bits and pieces here and there, and I have some upcoming projects I’m very excited to share with you down the track 🙂 But for today, another placement piece – a darling little dirndl!
This make was probably one of my most spur-of-the-moment to date. I am super happy with how my cigarette pants and pencil skirt turned out, but they do have one little trait that is rather undesirable this time of year – the fact that they’re made of wool! And so whilst I love wearing them, I haven’t really had much of a chance at all, even as we head into what is looking to be a very hot, dry autumn. I also discovered something rather surprising: I do not have *nearly* enough clothes for full-time placement! Whilst the situation should improve once I can add some winter skirts, pants and sweaters to the current rotation, I had to quickly get together a couple of stop-gap pieces to help me through till we get some relief from the blistering heat 😛 The shirt-dress has been getting a good amount of wear, but I’ve realised, for placement at least, separates are gong to be a lot more versatile and easy to wear, and therefore a bit more rewarding to sew. And when I saw this cute navy polkadot cotton at Lincraft during their half-price fabric sale, well…
I’d never made a gathered skirt before, and to anyone reading who hasn’t, I suggest you go and make one right now. You don’t need a pattern, or even any maths really – just your waist measurement and how long you want the skirt to be! I’m not going to write a tutorial on it at this point – I think it’s been very well covered by others already – but just to give you an idea of *how* easy it is, I didn’t even bother measuring the length of this – I just cut my fabric in half length ways, and then used the selvedge as the hem edge (which I then just had to press up and stitch!). My fabric was about 113cm wide I think, so I knew that sitting at my waist, it would hit right on my knee if I cut it this way – it’s a good trick 😉 Given it’s such a simple project to construct, it’s easy to add in nice details, I used french seams and added a pocket in the right side seam using my fave in-french-seam pocket method. That pocket is my life and I only wish *all* my placement clothes had pockets – they’re seriously hard to live without on the wards!
Fabric choice is always going to affect the look of the garment – but I think it’s especially evident in a style like this. This cotton poplin has a fair amount of body and is quite crisp, so the gathers create quite a full silhouette – which I really like, it’s a good way of alluding to my favourite 50s hourglass shape without committing to circle skirts and petticoats in the hospital 😛 But in a nice soft voile or rayon, you’d get an incredible soft drapiness, which I’m also very keen to try – and given how easy and inexpensive a skirt like this is, I think I will!
That’s all for today folks! I might be changing my posting schedule soon, from weekly to fortnightly – so if it’s a little while before you hear from me again, don’t fret 😛
Until next time,
Miss Maddy xx