I know I said at the end of the last post I was taking a bit of a break from lingerie sewing – and I haven’t relapsed yet! I actually sewed these up ages ago, but only finished them completely and got around to taking photos the other week. So enjoy my last bra for a little while!
Remember that lovely floral lycra lingerie set I posted a few weeks ago? Well, now you can meet its twin! Say hello to the rest of my little summer blossom lingerie family, a Maya, a MIX30 and a new little garter belt!
When I was first planning out this set, I knew that I wanted to use the lace on both bras, but in different ways. I’d attempted a lace-only upper cup in a foam Boylston before, and while that turned out reasonably well, I thought that it would work even better in the Maya, where the cross-cup seam is higher. Given that I also wanted to use the lace in the back-band, I knew that the elastics would be hidden (which is why I used them in the Boylston, to show them off more), so this set got the lovely blue-green straps and matching channeling. It was also quite a last minute bit of inspiration to use nude lining and powernet in this bra – so last minute that I’d actually already cut out the black powernet! – but I realised that it would show off the lace better, and coordinate well with the lace in the matching underwear, which wouldn’t be underlined. And I’m so glad I thought of it, because I love how it looks 🙂
I altered my bridge properly this time (unlike my last rather slapdash fix on the Maya!), narrowing it considerably. I also lowered the height of the neckline a bit, and reduced its angle, in order to create more of a balconette-style shape, and move the straps out to the side a bit. I tried a new construction method this time as well – for my velvet Boylston, I used a similar method to usual to attach the cup to the foam, but it created bulk at the cross-cup seam. To avoid this, this time I zig-zagged the foam cup to the seam allowance of the cross-cup seam of the completely constructed outer cup, then top-stitched down. This, while a little fiddly to do, gave a great result! No excess bulk in unflattering places now 😉
The fit is alright, but sadly not brilliant. I think the upper cup stretched out a bit during the sewing (you can see how the lower cup is more angled than it should be), which has rendered it a little tight, and as a result there is a little spill-over. Still, it’s not super-noticeable, and the bra is still very comfortable and pretty, so I’m sure it will still get some wear.
Not much to say about the lovely little matching MIX30 panties – these are also becoming a TNT for me, for their comfort and fit, and a-may-zing use of lace. Though the bra from that pattern proved to be a little disappointing for me, this underwear pattern has since more than made up for it. I’m also keen to try the other pattern from MIX30 though, which I have yet to have a go at – stay tuned for that!
The last piece of this set is the Karolina Garter belt pattern by Raisa of Olympian Cotton. This is Raisa’s first pattern release, and when she contacted me a few weeks ago about testing it, I was delighted to accept! It’s a great little sew, and it turned out really well – the perfect use of the last remaining scraps of this gorgeous lycra. This was also my first time using fold-over elastic, and man, am I in love with it! Expect to see it popping up in future lingerie creations 😉 You can get the pattern for yourself (and it’s free, too!) here 🙂
The straps on these (as you may or may not be able to tell from the photos) are removable – it’s the set I ordered ages ago off eBay to use on my La Vie en Rose underwear to make them garter panties (I also finally put the loops on those for the straps – they work like a charm!), and I thought I may as well use them here. I figured it’s not particularly cost-effective for me to make a complete set of straps for every garter belt, especially when they may not individually get frequent wear. So I’m happy to have a few sharing the straps 🙂
Almost back to uni for me now – only about two weeks of holidays left! I’m not really sure what to expect from this year yet really, though I have no doubt my sewing hours will be somewhat curtailed. Still, I have something of a backlog of projects from the summer, so I’m sure you’ll still be hearing from me 🙂
Until next time,
Miss Maddy xx