After I made my first playsuit a couple of weeks ago, all my suspicious were immediately confirmed: playsuits are, in fact, the ideal summer outfit. Not only are they cute, fun and nice and cool to wear, they are the best zero-effort outfit out – no need to worry about coordination, it’s your top and shorts in one (also, it lacks the dangerous risk of exposure that comes with breezy summer dresses)! Of course, when I say zero-effort, I am excluding the effort of making one (which seems to be paradoxically considerable) – but even that’s not enough to dampen my enthusiasm for them! Without further ado, my latest me-made romper! 😀
This is my second iteration of the romper variation from Gertie Sews Vintage Casual – but as you can probably see, this one is even more of a departure from the pattern than the first! The bodice is the same (essentially), but I ditched the dodgy shorts pattern in favour of some full circle shorts – with, drum roll please, pockets!
My tiny bodice alterations were limited to adding about two centimetres to the length, and shaving a centimetre off each shirred panel at the waist, tapering to nothing at the top. I used french seams on the front bodice seams, and turned the side seams under before topstitching them down, as the voile (which you may recognise from my Anna dress!) is quite prone to fraying.
For the pockets, I used a free pocket template (which i’ve now lost, sorry, but they’re very easy to find!). This was my first time sewing in-seam pockets, and I decided (seeing as that wasn’t enough of a challenge) I would also sew them in french seams. I wasn’t entirely sure tis could be done, actually, until I found this brilliant tutorial, which walks you through all the steps. And damn, did they turn out great! I love having pockets in this one so much I am actually debating going back and adding them to my other playsuit – whether or not I can actually be bothered remains to be seen…
So, the shorts! It seemed so simple in execution – in reality? Not so much. I think a lot of this actually boiled down to my only having made two pairs of shorts before (actually only one if you don’t count the ones on the last playsuit), and I’m still very new to crotch curves and rises etc. Cutting them was simple enough – I simply cut four quarter-circles out, using my waist radius to get the waistline correct, adding on the crotch curve from the pattern pieces to one side. So far so good – I used french seams for the front and side seams, then basted the crotch seam and part of the back so I could try it on. Problems promptly arose. I think the issue is that the crotch curves weren’t long enough – with the crotch seam sewn, they sat below my waist, meaning they were way too small 😦 Still, this fabric was way too pretty to give up on. I cut a couple of centimetres off the waist, increasing the length of the waistline; and added a trusty waistband to make up the difference. It wasn’t a perfect fix – the waist band is horribly wonky at the back – but it saved my poor little romper, making it very wearable 🙂 I ended up doing a very speedy hemming job (if you can even call it that) right before I walked out the door to head off on my beach trip – a quick run around the bottom edge with a zigzag stitch, initially intended as a temporary measure only. Bu I actually really like the casual look of it, so I’ll probably go over it at some point with a finer zigzag just to secure it.
So all in all, a good learning experience, with a happy end! It’ll probably be a little while before I make another (as happily as I would wear one every day, I have way too many other things make), but at least I’ll have an even better idea of what I’m doing next time! In the mean time, I will continue prancing around everywhere in both of my playsuits 😉
Until next time,
Miss Maddy xx